Thursday, February 7, 2008

Another One Bites the Dust...

Well, the Republican Party has just lost the person I believed to be their best candidate for President of the United States: Mitt Romney. Just in the last fifteen minutes or so, the Romney Campaign has confirmed that Governor Romney will suspend his campaign for the Republican Nomination. ("Suspending" the campaign is merely the traditional parlance for "ending" the campaign).

Clearly political calculations were a part of this decision -- he simply was not winning enough and was unable to stunt McCain's momentum. The decision to leave the race now, however, is also a reflection of the class and character of the man -- two of the reasons why I felt he was the strongest GOP candidate. He could have continued on -- McCain has not officially won the nomination and Romney has the financial wherewithal to do so -- but he is doing what is best for the Republican Party. By leaving now, he will allow the GOP to (attempt to) come together behind John McCain, the now "officially" presumptive nominee. This is particularly important for Republicans given the battle for the Democratic Nomination that continues between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama -- a battle that shows no sign of ending anytime soon. So while the Democrats continue what amounts to infighting, the Republicans can unite behind their candidate and begin to focus on the General Election in November.

This was an honorable end to an honorable campaign. Republicans should hope that the other two remaining candidates -- Mike Huckabee and Ron Paul -- quickly follow suit.

Update:

Here is an excerpt from Romney's speech today at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) during which he announced the suspension of his campaign:

I disagree with Senator McCain on a number of issues, as you know. But I agree with him on doing whatever it takes to be successful in Iraq, on finding and executing Osama bin Laden, and on eliminating Al Qaeda and terror. If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror.

This is not an easy decision for me. I hate to lose. My family, my friends and our supporters... many of you right here in this room... have given a great deal to get me where I have a shot at becoming President. If this were only about me, I would go on. But I entered this race because I love America, and because I love America, I feel I must now stand aside, for our party and for our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment